18 Questions to Ask Your Plastic Surgeon BEFORE Surgery
So you’ve made the jump and decided to go ahead with a procedure, be it reconstructive or cosmetic. Maybe you want to improve your facial symmetry and have decided to undergo a rhinoplasty or maybe the age lines are beginning to show, prompting you to sign up for a botox treatment. Perhaps after deliberation you’ve decided on an Asian eyelid surgery or like many celebrities and well known faces today, you just to improve your appearance to boost your self esteem and feel better about yourself – consequently improve relationships and performance in everyday life. Either way, if this is your first plastic surgery, preparation is everything. Its imperative not just to be astutely aware and have realistic expectations going in – its also important to have a smooth and open communication with your doctor. Additionally, do your homework – a little basic research is always smart. The following are some start up questions to definitely ask your doc:
– Are you a board certified plastic surgeon? Please elaborate.
– What procedures do you perform most frequently/have been performing for the longest period?
– Approximately how many times have you performed [Insert name of particular surgery you want to undergo]?
– For how many years have you been performing plastic (be it cosmetic or reconstructive) surgery? That is to say, exclusively?
– Do you think I’m a good candidate for the procedure I’m going for?
– Please elaborate on the procedure, risks, side effects in addition to the possible complications (and how to best limit the chance of these occuring).
– Please detail about recovery time for this procedure.
– May I please view some before & after photographs of patients who’ve undergone the same procedure under your care?
– Is your medical license in good standing in the state where you practice?
– Have you ever had your medical license suspended or revoked? Are you on probation?
– What are your credentials and educational qualifications?
– Have you had to settle any medical malpractice or negligence lawsuits in the state?
– What is the extent of your training in plastic surgery?
– Where can I get more information on your practice on? Do you have a website or any social media accounts I can reference at home with my family?
– Do you have hospital privileges to perform the procedure I’m currently inquiring about?18
– Please tell me more about the facility: is it state accredited or perhaps a nationally recognized agency and where is it located?
– Have you ever been disciplined by the Board of Medicine in the state where you practice or anywhere else? Have you ever practiced in another state?
– Are you being treated for drug and/or alcohol abuse?
These are just a few basic, generalized questions to jump off the page with. Personalized questions should come after the primary consultations and can be numerous and diverse depending on the person and the procedure. Keep this checklist and go from there! If you have any more questions, feel free to comment below, tweet or write on our facebook wall! We’re always happy to help and available to offer insight and valuable advice.
Dr. Edward Kwak is New York’s premier board certified plastic surgeon. He specializes in facial cosmetic surgeries. To book your first consultation, click here! If you’re an out-of-town patient, arrange for an online consultation here.